I hope that The New Year has started out on the right foot. Here are a few home maintenance tips that will help your home meet its New Years resolutions.
1) Empty a gallon of water out of your water heater to remove sediment from the bottom. A qualified service technician should evaluate your water heater every 5 years.
2) Organize your home improvement files. Review warranties and product manuals to ensure that you are providing the recommended maintenance for those items. Get your calendar organized to track needed maintenance times.
3) Full house drain flush. fill up your sinks and tubs with hot water and let them all drain at the same time. This helps keep the main line a bit cleaner.
4) Make room by room inventory of everything in your home that you use. In the event of fire, flood, or other disaster, this is important for filing an insurance claim.
5) Don’t close vents to crawl space. since we live in an area where pipes can freeze, insulate pipes and under the floor. vents play an important role in controlling condensation beneath a house.
6) Double-check insulation around exterior pipes that are exposed to freezing weather to be certain that water cannot seep under the insulation.
7) Prevent frozen pipes by opening your cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate near your pipes. This is a must if your pipes are running along and exterior wall and you are unsure of the amount of insulation you have.
8) Inspect all cabinet, and furniture for loose hardware, noisy, or sticky hinges.
9) Check all interior and exterior doors for loose, sticky, or noisy hardware, lubricate as needed, tighten all knobs and locks.
10) Check your Garbage disposal for leaks and function. The holidays can be very abusive on this appliance.
Did You know?: January is the deadliest month for CO poisoning. Defend against this by 1)not using portable generators within the home, 2) have gas water heaters and other fuel burning appliances checked professionally 1X/year, and 3) install CO detector outside each sleeping area, within 15 feet of the entry.
If you need assistance with the above preventative home maintenance projects, or have any other new Year home projects, click the “Contact” tab above and let Screw Loose? LLC take care of the rest.
Thanks for your time, I hope this helps……….