The month of love…………..Let’s show our homes some love with this months preventative home maintenance tips.
1) Check all exhaust fans, both in kitchens and bathrooms. Check for appropriate air movement before and after showers and run hood fan while cooking. Clean fans as needed as dust and grease build up promotes moisture to not move and can damage parts of the fan over time.
2) Remove drain traps under sinks and clean them thoroughly. Clean pop up drain plugs. Adjust drain plugs as needed and check for leaks under drain when drain is plugged
3) Inspect grout and caulk around tubs, sinks and showers. Chip out cracked grout and replace missing grout. stained and mildewed caulk should be cleaned with trisodium phosphate or other household cleaner. If it remains discolored it should be removed and replaced with fresh, mildew resistant caulk.
4) Musty closet odors can be reduced or eliminated by removing the closets contents and washing walls with a diluted solution of chlorine bleach. also, solid doors can be replaced with louvered doors for better air flow. If the musty smell is from a true water source, disregard the above and find/stop the water source.
5) To keep valves from sticking and check for leaks, turn all water valves off and on. This includes outdoor faucets/valves(if they are still on this month), valves to toilets, bathroom and kitchen sinks, dishwasher, and washing machine.
Water Saving Tip:
6) During extreme cold snaps, you may need to let a faucet drip to prevent frozen pipes. When you do that, put a bucket under the faucet to catch the water. Use this water to flush a toilet, or water your indoor plants. Don’t let all those drips go to waste.
If you need assistance with any of the above tips, or have other home projects or repairs, click the “contact” button to the right and let Screw Loose take care of the rest.
Thanks for your time, I hope this helps…………..